29 September, 2008

Choke. A two parter!

So. Last Thursday, I was invited to a sneak preview of the new film "Choke" based on the novel by Chuck Palahniuk, by my pal Lord Spathington. I don't know how many of you out there have read this book, so here are some random words and phrases to give you an idea of what it contains: anal beads, messiah, foreskin, "the circuit", sex addicts, colonial America, rocks, strippers, skin cancer, sex, Jesus Christ, death, dementia, sex, aaaannd sex. Now you know. Anyway, the film is a decent representation of the book. Of course, some scenes from the book are omitted, some are reconstructed, and some are right on the money.

Sam Rockwell plays main character, Victor Mancini, and as always provides an excellent performance. I haven't seen Rockwell turn in a bad performance yet. Not even in the fairly terrible "Charlie's Angels" film. He comes off as likable and mildly despicable all at the same time. Impressive to say the least. The film is good on a technical standpoint as well. Nothing fancy here. Just solid cinematography, a good adaptation of the source material, and competent directing.

To finish, if you enjoy black comedies, Chuck Palahniuk, Sam Rockwell, or just an entertaining film.......see "Choke". Oh, if you haven't read the book. Do so. Immediately. You will not regret it.

Part Two.

Okay, part two here has nothing to do with the film or book. Just what some of you may do when I review my meal from this past Saturday night. This past Day of Satyr I had my first taste of haggis. Haggis is a Scottish dish made from what they call "sheep's pluck". Specifically, the sheep's heart, liver, and lungs ground and mixed with oatmeal, spices, suet, and boiled in the sheep's stomach. I know. This sounds REALLY awful. It wasn't.


I had my plate of haggis at The Scottish Arms in the Central West End. My entree came with: haggis (of course), neeps (turnips), and tatties (mashed potatoes). The haggis itself looks a lot like ground beef. It tastes similar also, but it has a very mineral, earthy flavor, slightly salted. Enjoyable so far. Now. When you mix a forkful of haggis with a dollop of tatties? Damn. Tastiest. Shepherd's. Pie. Ever. I cannot recommend this meal enough. Haggis is awesome. Try it.

No comments:

Man v. Food Widget